The master bathroom in our house was in need of some moderization. I'd been thinking about remodeling it for more than a year and had worked on it in spurts over that time. The first attempts considered moving walls and mostly gutting the place. This was abandoned because I could not quite settle on a design that retained all the existing features. In the end, it would have been a lot of work for not a lot of gain. This is a testament to how well it was layed out in the first place.
This still left us with a fairly dated look to the bathroom, so the second attempt was to just redo the floor, walls and ceiling and possibly refinishing the cabinets. I was not going to redo the counters or bathtub, because these were custom made pieces that would be a shame to throw away.
The trickest part was where to start. There are many material choices for the surface and many possible color combinations. A lot of searching through ideas and I finally found a combination of thing that I liked. This first design requires some refinements before I begin the actual work and this is where the project currently stands.
After thinking about what I did not like about the first design, I made some refinements:
- The oak wood ceilings were just not the right color, so change to birch.
- Added wood slats all around sink are (not just ceiling).
- Got better texturing for dark blue slate tile floors.
- Changed cabinet wood color to match birch ceiling slats.
- Changed floor and door trim to match birch wood.
- Remove the lights surrounding the mirror.